Oxford teen dies after falling through the ice | News
OXFORD, Maine (NEWS CENTER) - The Maine Warden Service says an Oxford teenager has died after falling through the ice while checking his beaver traps.
Wardens say that 17-year-old Joshua Wardwell from Oxford, Maine was checking the traps on Chapman Pond in Oxford when he fell through the ice.
EMS were quickly notified by Wardwell's girlfriend who was on shore and saw him fall. The Oxford fire department removed him from the ice and started life-saving efforts. While on route to Stevens Memorial Hospital in Norway, he was pronounced dead.
The Maine Warden Service reminds everyone that thin ice conditions are now present. They urge people to use extreme caution when attempting to access any body of water where ice is present. Wardens also say to be certain to check the ice thickness before venturing out onto the ice.
Upcoming Events near Bethel
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- LAME Comedy Fest to feature Louis Ramey
- Washburn-Norlands Living History Center Receives $15,000 Grant to Restore Historic Windows
- 1st Statewide Virtual Public School Hosts In-Person Info Session in Auburn for Interested Families
- Strawberry Festival and Living History Heritage Day at the Norlands
- Comedy Fix XIV to benefit GAHS