Four dead from carbon monoxide poisoning in Byron | News

Title (Max 100 Characters)

Four dead from carbon monoxide poisoning in Byron
News


BYRON, Maine (NEWS CENTER) - The Oxford County Sheriff's Department has confirmed four people and a dog were found dead Friday night in Byron.

Oxford County Sheriff Wayne Gallant says the victims were found by a parent.

Officials said the five appear to have died from carbon monoxide poisoning produced by generator that had been running in the basement. Authorities said the generator apparently had been in operation before running out of gas.

Gallant said the victims drove to the camp Tuesday from Massachusetts to celebrate a graduation and a birthday.

Oxford County Sheriff Wayne Gallant identified the victims Saturday as 21-year-old Brooke Wakelin and her boyfriend 23-year-old Keith Norris, both of Attleboro; and Wakelin's brother, 18-year-old Matthew Wakelin and his friend, 22-year-old Deanna Lee Powers, both of Mansfield.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, unintentional exposure to carbon monoxide caused an average of 430 deaths a year nationwide between 1999 and 2010.


News

Bethel Businesses