Four dead from carbon monoxide poisoning in Byron


BYRON, Maine (NEWS CENTER) - The Oxford County Sheriff's Department has confirmed four people and a dog were found dead Friday night in Byron.

Oxford County Sheriff Wayne Gallant says the victims were found by a parent.

Officials said the five appear to have died from carbon monoxide poisoning produced by generator that had been running in the basement. Authorities said the generator apparently had been in operation before running out of gas.

Gallant said the victims drove to the camp Tuesday from Massachusetts to celebrate a graduation and a birthday.

Oxford County Sheriff Wayne Gallant identified the victims Saturday as 21-year-old Brooke Wakelin and her boyfriend 23-year-old Keith Norris, both of Attleboro; and Wakelin's brother, 18-year-old Matthew Wakelin and his friend, 22-year-old Deanna Lee Powers, both of Mansfield.

Community Sponsors

Are you interested in promoting your business to local customers?

How to relieve a killer hangover

How to relieve a killer hangover

I'm guessing that a few people were hung over after celebrating St. Patrick's Day. Do you have a tried and true hangover cure? We've got a few. Check out this slideshow on the Catching Health Blog.

For the first time: Cholesterol, yes. Juicy steak, no.

For the first time: Cholesterol, yes. Juicy steak, no.

The Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee released a new report that has big implications for the health status of Americans. Read some of the recommendations and tell us what you think! PS It's not to eat more red meat.

Valuable heart attack advice that could save your life

 Valuable heart attack advice that could save your life

Chest pain.

Could it just be indigestion? A pulled muscle? Stress? Or is it a heart attack? 

For some people, there will be no doubt that they’re having a heart attack because the pain will be sudden and intense. But many times, a heart attack starts slowly with only mild discomfort. 

What should you do if you're not sure?  I share some important advice on my blog Catching Health.

 

 

Community Sponsors

Are you interested in promoting your business to local customers?

How one family battles its life-threatening destiny

How one family battles its life-threatening destiny

Sixty years ago, at the tender age of 29, Audrey Wade died of “abdominal” cancer.

On a personal note, Audrey was my mother’s best friend growing up and maid of honor when she and my father married. She was also my godmother. My mother still recalls — vividly — when she got the call that Audrey was gone — mere months after her own wedding.

A hard-learned lesson about shingles

A hard-learned lesson about shingles

It was the beginning of a Labor Day weekend when Al felt a strange sensation on his right buttock, just underneath his back pocket where he carried his wallet. It was kind of sore and kind of itchy.

Although it wasn’t easy to do, he took a look and saw a red area. He figured his skin was irritated from rubbing against the corner of his wallet.

The red area got larger and the painful itch became more intense. Al hated to bother his doctor on a holiday weekend, so he waited three days to call for an appointment.

Caring for someone with dementia? The Stewart Center offers respite and more

Caring for someone with dementia? The Stewart Center offers respite and more

Millions of Americans have Alzheimer’s or some other form of dementia. As baby boomers age, the number is expected to escalate. Family members usually provide most of the care, often while they are also trying to hold down a job and run their own households. Studies have documented the toll it can take — depression, anxiety and other serious medical problems. The Stewart  Center, an adult day center for people living with dementia, recently opened in Falmouth.